Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Oh My Buddha!

I am currently in Penang, Malaysia, a city that I didn't know too much about before arriving. Although the majority of Malaysians are Muslim, it turns out that Penang is home to a number of impressive Buddhist temples built according to the style of different Asian countries. At first I was a little hesitant about going to visit yet more temples (I saw so many in Cambodia!) but I was anything but disappointed...

Burmese Temple

Chinese Temple

View from Kek Lok Si, the largest Buddhist Temple in all of SE Asia


Lanterns at Kek Lok Si

30m tall bronze Buddha statue at Kek Lok Si

Thai Temple that housed a 33m long reclining Buddha

After Cambodia I thought I was all "templed out" but I was wrong. These temples were extremely impressive and best of all they were nothing alike, each one was different from the last. Sometimes you miss out by not researching a place ahead of time but I definitely lucked out here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

darling, loved the beautiful pics and the reference to your lunch on the veranda - too bad I'm not there - love you so very mych, grandma

Wondering and Wandering said...

I think you'd like it here Grandma! Love you too xo