Thursday, February 21, 2013

Beaches and Goodbyes

I’m currently sprawled on my king sized bed on a massive open air patio-turned-dorm room drinking a fresh banana shake and enjoying a panoramic view of a pristine beach with aqua blue water as far as the eye can see, while listening to the soothing sounds of gently crashing waves and ‘Hotel California’ playing in the background. I don’t think I could ask for a better way to spend my last few days in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

My beach time in Thailand got cut short due to my run-in with Dengue Fever so I’m glad to have a second chance here in the paradise that is Cambodia’s Southern coast. The mainland beaches in Sihanoukville were beautiful but they just can’t compare to the island of Koh Rong Saloem, which is where I am now. It’s been an incredibly indulgent last few days filled with swimming and lying on the beach in a setting that almost has to be seen to be believed; my words and photos won’t do it justice! 

My time at the beach has been a perfect ending to my second trip in Cambodia. Although there is a still lot of the country I have yet to discover I think my time here has been pretty well-rounded: Temples and history in Siem Reap, nature and wildlife in Mondulkiri and beaches and relaxation in Sihanoukville. Cambodia has been without a doubt my favourite country to date and while I’m gutted to be leaving for a second time, I’m eager to see what my next destination has in store for me. Bring it on Vietnam!








No comments: