Friday, November 23, 2012

Being Thankful

Thanksgiving has never been that significant a day to me, which is strange because as a dual citizen I normally celebrate it twice a year (the Canadian one in October and the American one in November). Although I don't count down the days to Thanksgiving the same way I do with Christmas, it is without a doubt a great chance to see family, eat copious amounts of delicious food and reflect on things you are thankful for. This year I won't be seeing my family (except over Skype) or eating copious amounts of delicious food but I have a lot to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my wonderful family (including a mother who wanted to send me a mini Christmas tree, and who I know would actually do it if I had a mailing address) and friends.

I am thankful that I come from a country like Canada, where I can drink water from the tap, where there is no risk of diseases like malaria and dengue, where there are no landmines and where the quality of life is (generally) very good.

I am thankful for all of the great people I have met on my trip so far, especially the staff at my guesthouse and (as much as they can drive me crazy!) the kids at school.

Most of all I am thankful that I have the opportunity to travel, to see foreign places and experience new cultures (even if that means no mashed potatoes today... small price to pay I guess).

Happy Thanksgiving from Cambodia :)